Search Licenses & Information

Contact Us | FAQ


Choosing an Investment Professional

For Investors

       Investing Basics
       Investment Products
       Investment Accounts
       ​Choosing an Investment            Specialist

A qualified investment professional can help you make sound investment decisions. Investment professionals include registered financial professionals, also known as registered representatives or stockbrokers, investment advisers and financial planners. The person or team of professionals you work with will depend on the type of financial help you seek. When you choose an investment professional, it always pays to Ask and Check.

Registered Financial Professionals
Buy and sell securities for their customers, including individual investors. They are regulated by FISEU and the SEC. Ask for advice.

Investment Advisers
Provide advice about securities tailored to the needs of their clients. They are regulated by the SEC or state securities regulators. Ask for advice.

Financial Planners
Provide an array of financial services that vary from provider to provider. Regulation and licensing depends on the services offered. Ask for advice.

Insurance Agents
Sell life, health and property insurance policies, and other insurance products, including annuities. They are regulated by state insurance commissions. Ask for advice.

Provide professional assistance with taxes and financial planning, tax reporting, auditing and management consulting. They are regulated by national and state licensing standards. Ask for advice.

Offer legal assistance to clients related to financial planning and investment decisions, and may represent clients in disputes with firms or investment professionals. They are regulated by state bar associations. Ask for advice.